Title: Review of Stearns' Fat History: Bodies and Beauty in the Modern West
|Date:||July 13, 2013|
|Length:||7 / 2100|
|No of views:||0|
|Essay rating:||good 0, average 0, bad 0 (total score: 0)|
In the United States today, we are obviously obsessed with weight, but how did this cultural craze with heaviness start? When and why, even? Are we the only ones? Peter N. Stearns is a Carnegie Mellon history professor and dean, and in his book Fat History: Bodies and Beauty in the Modern West, he explores and compares the weight-consciousness over the past century in both the United States (arguably the most obese Western country today) and France (arguably the slimmest); he also attempts at explaining why such contrariety exists between these two countries, despite both being heavily infatuated with body and beauty...
Showed first 250 characters
Do you need an essay?
Here are the options you can choose from:
- Order plagiarism free custom written essay
- All essays are written from scratch by professional writers according to your instructions and delivered to your email on time
- Prices start from $12.99/page
Do you need many essays?
FULL access to essays database
- This option gives you the immediate access to all 184 988 essays
- You get access to all the essays and can view as many of them as you like for as little as $28.95/month
It is Stearns' stance that this modern struggle against fat is actually very deeply rooted within our American culture, and dieting and rampant hostility toward the obese continue to become one of the underlying themes in our society today. He also notes the differences in attitudes toward the obese in both countries...
Showed next 250 characters
Total price: $10.00
Common topics in this essay:
- Review of Stearns' Fat History: Bodies and Beauty in the Modern West
- Reducing Air and Water Pollution
- How did technology transform the "modern" and "post-modern" world in the west?
- weight of water
- ?°Tomorrow, When the War Began?± Review
- differences between english & french beauty products directions
- Time Devices
- The Beauty of West Point
- Modern Beauty
- The relationship between sugar and slavery in the early modern period.
- Lit Review For Sports Presentation On Gov Bodies Influences On Media
- The Time Period And People Of
- Renaissance Time Period
- Adam De La Halle And Ars Antiqua Time Period
- Writing Styles in the Puritan Time Period
2 pages / 520 words
2 pages / 520 words
1 pages / 273 words
2 pages / 304 words
2 pages / 411 words
2 pages / 588 words
1 pages / 271 words